Hobbit Crash 2010


On 4/27/2010, Danae had dropped me off at the airport, and on her way back home. On the straight merge lane just after the curve to get onto I-5 from the airport, she started to fishtail. She tried to correct; instead, the truck spun out into the front of truck. The truck had no options; he hit her front left, and sent her spinning to the right, up the slant of the underpass. From there, she rolled (and airbags deployed), and came to a rest on the 3 wheels she had left.

She called me; I left the ticket counter I was at, and rushed out to get a taxi. Apparently: terminal B has no taxi stand; instead, they have a single taxi sitting at the curb who calls you a taxi when you ask for it. I could not get this bastard to actually drive. “Just one minute, I call you another.” 3-4 minutes later, the taxi who’s willing to drive actually shows up. To the first taxi: Frak you with a chainsaw. Twice. And I curse your parents for having born you.

Meanwhile.. good Samaritan stopped at the accident scene; he was a retired EMT (and I suspect retired military). He broke through the back passenger window, and got in and stabilized her head. I arrived shortly after; then officers shortly after that. They gave us a neck brace to get around Danae’s neck, to help with keeping her immobilized.

The fire department and EMTs soon arrived. They had to cut the driver side door off. She was fairly quickly back boarded and then rushed to UC Davis. Thankfully, I was able to ride along.

Fast forward 7 hours later - at this time she’s been cleared to go home. UCD has poked, prodded, x-rayed, and CT scanned her every way possible. Nothing *serious* or long term appears to have happened. She was allowed to come home. More importantly, they told her “You’re done. You can leave when you’re ready.” Apparently, in ER, if you can stand, you can sure as hell find your own way out - didn’t get a wheelchair or escort of any kind.

Next day: More fun an excitement. Danae’s up and mobile enough for us to go to the tow yard, and pick up the essentials from the wreck. Paperwork, keys, small electronics, stupid stuff. This is the first that Danae got to see the truck. At this point it is totally clear, she rolled the truck for sure.

Next stop: my father’s (who was just a mile away), to let him know things are “ok”. He’s not home. However, chaos on the farm. The dogs were loose; the goats were hassled; and, the horses, down the street. We had to spend a few hours trying to get everyone back in their correct places; with most of the time being on the horses. Since they didn’t know us well, this could be described best as a low-speed chase. It didn’t help that they were more interested in all the fresh growth; and all I had to bribe them with was their usual horse feed.

Next stop: mall crawlin. Had to replace Danae’s glasses, which were lost at some point during the accident.

From our trucker friend:

One of our semi drivers mentioned Your accident this morning. He drove by as they were getting you out. He mentioned the truck driver was with the police looking under the semi at the wheel stuck under it. He commented how the truck driver was probably going to lose his job for hitting you and said he couldn’t see how the driver of the pickup would survive. I loved the look on his face when I was able to tell him that not only did you survive, but you had bruises only and that you had stated the truck driver was not at fault. He was shocked. And he says his next pickup is gonna be a big Ford. I’m so glad you r ok!

April 30.

It was a Ford F-150 that saved Danae’s life. Any smaller vehicle, we’re convinced, would have led to a very different outcome. Every bit of damage that truck took, was damage that my wife did not. Instead, she was able to come home that same evening, despite being hit by a semi, and rolling the truck.

There is now a new F-150 in the driveway.

Recent Posts