I’m just your average computer geek who has found that all compouters suck, all operating systems suck, all routers suck, etc - it’s just a matter of finding the one tha sucks the least for the application you have in mind. If you were looking for my resume.. click here. Don’t forget, that if you need me for a large project to check my availability. Quick note: I’m the combo System Administrator, Network Administrator, CGI-Guy, and Fire Fighter.
The family (of course!) - Danaë, Branwyn, and Joshua
- Unix - especially FreeBSD, which comes complete with source code. What some people call “System Administration” I call “fun”. For work, I currently run 10,000+ linux boxes at this little company known as Yahoo.
- Music - but mostly from the 70’s and 80’s.
- Music - playing - my Alesis QS8 synth is the closet to sounding and feeling like a grand piano that I’ll ever get. I really dig piano. Other sounds on the instrument can be cool, but piano in particular gets me. Update: Alesis did it again. I’ve got a dg8 now as well. Alesis rocks. I may just be able to put off the grand piano after all…
- Programming - Perl and C are my two favorite languages. I use PHP heavily, and TCL grudgingly. I’ll admit to other languages only under duress. CGI writing is a neat form of entertainment.
- Windows. I can operate it. I can fix it, if I absolutely must (read: you’re a VERY close relative of mine, that is still talking to me). Wake up, folks, get a Mac! Get a Linux box! Down with the empire!
- DOS - I have even less use for DOS. Any operating system that’s got the same acronym as “Denial of Service” has to be evil. Even more.. it has Microsoft’s name on it.
- Music - Death to Disco!
- Music - playing - Casio keyboards *don’t* count. Sorry. Really. If you think you’re getting into keyboards.. go to your nearest 3-4 professional music stores, and play with the toys. Get something that sounds real. Better yet, get a grand piano, just don’t tell me, as I’ll be very jealous.
- Programming - 16 bit programming, ie for DOS. DOS sucks, Beavis. 8 bit was pretty cool tho. These days, why struggle? We’ve got enough bits for everyone now.